Personal information includes information or an opinion about an individual that is reasonably identifiable. For example, this may include your name, postcode, and contact details. It may also include financial information, including your credit card information.
What personal information do we collect?
We may collect the following types of personal information:
- mailing or street address;
- email address;
- employment/workplace details;
- telephone number and other contact details;
- credit card information;
- your device ID, device type, geo-location information, computer and connection information, statistics on page views, traffic to and from the sites, ad data, IP address and standard web log information;
- details of the products and services we have provided to you or that you have enquired about, including any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and respond to your enquiries;
- any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or app or indirectly through your use of our website or app or online presence or through other websites or accounts from which you permit us to collect information;
- information you provide to us through customer surveys; or
- any other personal information that may be required in order to facilitate your dealings with us.
We may collect these types of personal information either directly from you, or from third parties (such as your company if they set you up with a user account). We may collect this information when you:
- register on our website or app;
- communicate with us through correspondence, chats, email, or when you share information with us from other social applications, services or websites;
- interact with our sites, services, content and advertising; or
- invest in our business or enquire as to a potential purchase in our business.
Why do we collect, use, and disclose personal information?
Your privacy is incredibly important to us and we spend a lot of time and thought ensuring your data is kept safe and secure.
In order to provide, improve, and protect the ClearCalcs service, we may collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for the following purposes:
- to enable you to access and use our website and services
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise our website and services, business and our users’ experience, such as to perform analytics, conduct research and for advertising and marketing;
- to send you service, support and administrative messages, reminders, technical notices, updates, security alerts, and information requested by you;
- to administer rewards, surveys, contests, or other promotional activities or events sponsored or managed by us or our business partners;
- to comply with our legal obligations, resolve any disputes that we may have with any of our users, and enforce our agreements with third parties; and
- to consider your employment application.
In addition to the information you directly provide, we may also collect information about how users interact with our service, which we refer to as ‘metadata’. For example, we might collect information about how far you scroll on a page, or when you click certain buttons. This information is collected expressly to improve the user experience, as well as calculate interesting information for users, such as the average time taken to complete a calculation.
Do we use your personal information for email marketing?
From time-to-time we may send you important email updates about our services. We’ll try to only provide the information you need in these emails and you’ll be able to unsubscribe at any time from product update emails. All communication will be sent in accordance with the Spam Act and Privacy Act.
To whom do we disclose your personal information?
- our employees and related bodies corporate;
- third party suppliers and service providers (including providers for the operation of our websites and/or our business or in connection with providing our products and services to you – for example: our customer relationship management software, email marketing software, and help desk software);
- professional advisers, dealers and agents;
- account administrators from your company may have access and control of your account if it is associated to the organisation’s account. Please review your company’s internal policies if you have questions about this;
- payment systems operators (eg merchants receiving card payments);
- our existing or potential agents, business partners or partners;
- anyone to whom our assets or businesses (or any part of them) are transferred;
- specific third parties authorised by you to receive information held by us; and/or
- other persons, including government agencies, regulatory bodies and law enforcement agencies, or as required, authorised or permitted by law – we will not provide your information to these agencies unless a court order requires us to do so, and will inform you should such a request be made unless we’re legally prevented from doing so.
Disclosure of personal information outside Australia
We may disclose personal information outside of Australia to our third-party software providers for customer relationship management, email marketing, and help desk management, located in the USA.
We will, however, take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient will deal with such personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles, and will only disclose the information necessary for that service to operate properly.
Using our website and cookies
We may collect personal information about you when you use and access our website.
While we do not use browsing information to identify you personally, we may record certain information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit, the time and date of your visit and the internet protocol address assigned to your computer.
We may also use ‘cookies’ or other similar tracking technologies on our website that help us track your website usage and remember your preferences. Cookies are small files that store information on your computer, TV, mobile phone or other device. They enable the entity that put the cookie on your device to recognise you across different websites, services, devices and/or browsing sessions. You can disable cookies through your internet browser but our websites may not work as intended for you if you do so.
Security and data storage
ClearCalcs is securely hosted using Amazon Web Services’ infrastructure. This facility is physically secure, designed to be resilient to failure, and employs security best practice and secure encryption for data storage. The system has a strong physical and digital security assurance program using global privacy and data protection best practices – these protections and control processes have been independently assessed and are compliant with the Australian Government’s criteria for information security.
Information (including personal information) may also be stored locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage (including HTML5) and application data caches.
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure and we use a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures to protect your personal information. For example:
- All network communication between ClearCalcs and your web browser is encrypted
- Only specific staff members of ClearCalcs may access the data we store on your behalf, and the systems storing this data automatically log access
- Sensitive information such as passwords are only stored in encrypted form
- All user actions in the system are logged by user and IP enabling us to track down unauthorised access for as long as our logs are kept
Additional measures may be undertaken beyond those discussed, however, we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
Deleting data from ClearCalcs
Upon account closure, you may request complete deletion of all associated data. Data will be deleted from our live system as soon as is practical, however this may persist for a reasonable period of time in backups. Please note that this data removal includes all data created and uploaded by you, but does not include our financial account-keeping records on you which we will maintain for future reference.
Requesting a full copy of your data
If you would like a full copy of the data associated with your account, please write to email@example.com and we will provide it to you as soon as possible.
Accessing or correcting your personal information
You can access the personal information we hold about you by contacting us using the information below. Sometimes, we may not be able to provide you with access to all of your personal information and, where this is the case, we will tell you why. We may also need to verify your identity when you request your personal information.
If you think that any personal information we hold about you is inaccurate, please contact us and we will take reasonable steps to ensure that it is corrected.